WD My Book Live and Time Machine - Backups are faster than ever!

I have my WD My Book Live 2Tb as a key part of my backup strategy. The problem is that it was running quite low. Super super low, actually.

I searched a lot and everyone complained about how slow the HDD was for Time Machine backups. I never experienced such a problem until now....

Anyways, I used the HDD menu to return it to "Factory Settings". The backups were even slower afterwards!

The solution? Does not login as GUEST (as suggested by WD documentation) but as ADMIN!
Here are the steps to do so:

  1. Remove the NAS from the disk list in Time Machine
  2. Go to WD ip address in your personal network.
  3. Click on Shares
  4. Eliminate the TimeMachine (or TimeMachineBackup) share. Please note that this will delete your entire backups!
  5. Create a new share (I named MacBackup) and give access to the admin user (check that is read/write access by selecting the "blue pen")
  6. If the admin user does not have password, be sure to add one (and remember it!)
  7. Go back to the main screen and scroll down to Mac Backup
  8. Activate the option and select your new backup share
  9. Go to Time Machine and add the My Book Live again (note that is renamed as the share you created)
  10. For the credentials: Use admin in Name and type the password you defined in step 6.
  11. Done!
As an example, before doing this my Mac backed up around 60Gb in more tan 12 hours. I just did the change I explained and in less than 3 hours has backed up about 160Gb. Amazingly fast!

Take care,
Seb.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mariconómetro...